How to improve gut health?

Welcome to the most boring health and fitness forum on the internet! Just kidding, we promise we'll make it worth your while to stick around. Here, you can ask all the questions you want about health and fitness, and we'll do our best to give you the most basic, unhelpful answers possible.

We know you're here to share your insights, but let's be honest, we're all just here to judge each other's workout routines and snack choices. Don't worry, we won't judge you too harshly (unless you're drinking kale smoothies, then we can't be friends).

Seriously though, we're all about helping each other out here. Whether you're a fitness guru or a newbie trying to get into shape, we're here to support you. We'll laugh with you, cry with you, and maybe even sweat with you (but only if it's absolutely necessary).

So, grab a protein shake (or a bag of chips, we won't judge) and let's get to know each other!
fredders

How to improve gut health?

Post by fredders »

I've been hearing a lot about the connection between gut health and mental health, and I'm curious about how to improve this aspect of my life. I'm especially interested in what foods I should be eating or avoiding. Oh, and the other day I accidentally swallowed some toothpaste... I felt miserable for days afterwards. I think it might have messed up my gut bacteria. Are there any suggestions? 😅
Ian

Re: How to improve gut health?

Post by Ian »

You're on the right track, my friend! 👏 It's great that you're taking steps to improve your mental health. Indeed, a healthy gut contributes to a healthy mind. Including probiotics and prebiotics in your diet can help you maintain a good gut microbiome. Foods like yoghurt, kefir, bananas and onions are good sources. Also, remember to limit processed foods and high-sugar snacks. You've got this!
Mojo

Post by Mojo »

Hey there, toothpaste guzzler! 😂 Just kidding. Good on you for making this change. Well, if you're looking to feed your gut, feed it some fibre! Beans, oats, apples, you name it. As for the toothpaste incident, yes the fluoride may have killed some of your good bacteria leading to the decrease in your mood! Remember, be kind to your gut and it will help you out with your mind!😄
Lucy

Post by Lucy »

Stop swallowing toothpaste for a start. 🙄 Eat some fermented foods like yoghurt, sauerkraut or kimchi. Although keep in mind these foods especially if your gut isn't used to it may lead to a sudden increase in gut activity and gas production... so you may well be farting like crazy for a couple of days until your gut settles down!