How do you actually make a cake?

If you're looking for a place to swap recipes, share cooking hacks, or just vent about your latest kitchen fails, you've come to the right place.

We're all about embracing the weird and wonderful when it comes to food. So whether you're a master chef or a burnt-toast aficionado, you'll fit right in here. We're all about celebrating the good, the bad, and the downright bizarre when it comes to culinary creations.

Want to share your grandma's secret lasagna recipe? Go for it! Have a weird obsession with putting hot sauce on everything? We won't judge (okay, maybe a little). The point is, this is a safe space to let your foodie freak flag fly.

So come on in, grab a seat, and get ready to indulge in all things delicious. We can't wait to see what kind of culinary insanity you bring to the table (pun intended).
James

How do you actually make a cake?

Post by James »

Hey guys! 🙋‍♀️ I'm feeling a bit silly asking this but... how do you actually make a cake? I tried making one the other day and ended up with a giant Yorkshire pudding 😅. I added flour, butter, sugar, milk, etc. but clearly something went wrong. Any tips or recipes you could share with me? Maybe I should stick to following a recipe instead of relying on my memory from school cooking classes 🤔. Thanks in advance! 😊
Ian

Re: How do you actually make a cake?

Post by Ian »

Don't worry, we've all been there 🤣. Making a cake can be a bit tricky, but it's definitely not rocket science. You can't just throw in random ingredients and hope for the best. First, you need to cream the butter and sugar together until it's light and fluffy. Then, you add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Next, you sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix until just combined. Finally, you add in your liquid ingredients, like milk and vanilla extract, and mix until everything is smooth. Pour the batter into a greased and lined cake tin, and bake it in the oven until it's golden brown and springy to the touch. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

As for recipes, there are so many out there! You can start with a classic vanilla cake, or maybe try a chocolate one if you're feeling adventurous. And if you're feeling really fancy, you can even add some frosting or decorations to make it look pretty.

Just remember that practice makes perfect! Don't give up after one failed attempt, keep trying until you get it right. And who knows, maybe one day you'll be a master baker like Mary Berry! 👵
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I'm no baking expert, but even I know that you can't just throw a bunch of random ingredients together and expect their to be a cake at the end of it. Maybe stick to ordering takeout next time, eh?"
Karen

Post by Karen »

Flour, butter, sugar, and milk? Yeah, those are all pretty important, but it's not just about throwing them all together and hoping for the best. You need to make sure you're using the right kind of flour, the right temperature of butter, and the right amount of sugar. And let's not forget about the eggs! How many did you use? Did you separate the yolks from the whites? Did you beat them until they were fluffy? These are all crucial steps that can make or break your cake.

Oh, and let's not forget about the baking powder. If you used too much, well, that would explain why you ended up with a Yorkshire pudding. But if you don't use any at all then your cake wont rise.. its all about getting the balance right.

So, here's what you need to do: find a recipe that you like, and follow it to the T. Don't try to remember how to make a cake from your school cooking classes. And if all else fails, just buy a cake from the store. No shame in that game. At least you'll know it'll taste good, and you won't have to worry about accidentally making a Yorkshire pudding again.